Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Terminal



Upon arriving in Madrid I was immediately greeted by adventure...I landed at the Barajas airport without much direction searching for customs and baggage claim. They have you go up stairs then downstairs then up and down, then- well you get the idea. After I finally get all my stuff-Mom, I'm blaming you for the excessive amount of baggage- I went to where I was supposed to meet my API rep to take the bus to our hotel. Well, I arrive and look for an API sign, my name, anything. What did I find? Nothing. I quickly read the info sheet again to see if I had misread anything. Was I supposed to meet them in terminal 1 instead of 4? OH NO! I rush to the info booth and in my best Spanish ask how to get to Terminal 1. "Metro", the angry man working the booth replies. So with my large bags I catch the lift down to the basement in an attempt to fetch the metro, only to discover that I actually need to take the bus located upstairs, except this time I decided for my own good and the good of those around me to not try to shove myself into a tiny elevator and took the escalator ramp instead. Finally, after the help from a kind Spanish man, I get my bags on the bus and head to terminal 4. When I arrive, no API. Sweating by this point, I unfold my neon yellow info sheet to read yet again. No, terminal 4 was definitely where I should be. UGH! So I did all of the above once again only this time in reverse. After wondering around terminal 4 for awhile in hopes of finding anyone from my program I spotted a neon yellow sheet of paper, very similar to the one I had from API, in the distance. With no other option I approached the group and asked if they were with API. Good news/bad news. One girl was with API and found some locals with a cell phone who contacted my directors. They were already sittin pretty at the hotel. AKA they left us at the airport...Options: take a taxi and pay an arm and leg in Euros hoping to not get taken advantage of as young American girls OR ride the metro through the city. We chose the latter. And I must say I am rather proud of myself for navigating the winding tunnels of the Madrid Metro, this was no easy task, but alas, with the help of more friendly locals, Alex and I arrived (only 3 1/2 hours late) at the Puerta del Sol and our Hotel Moderno- what a sight for sore eyes!

We then had a brief orientation (which I of course fell asleep in thanks to jet lag) and a lovely dinner. Then it was out on the town for some sightseeing and Sangria.

The next day we visited El Museo del Prado which houses the paintings of Goya and other famous painters. It was amazing. We also toured the Royal Palace. Grand and beautiful! The best part was the incredible views and landscapes. Miles of trees and parks with a backdrop of mountains. Wonderful. It was so interesting to stand in the very palace where Christopher Columbus once begged for the support of Ferdinand and Isabela to sail the world. While this palace is not where the Royal Family lives today, it is still the location for all royal ceremonies and many international affairs.

We've also had fun simply walking the streets of Madrid. Begging is very popular here, however, it is very different than the US. People dress up and paint their faces and even use props such as goat heads to ask for money. Crazy I know. You must also beware of gypsies who offer you rosemary. If you accept it, they will read your palm and expect a large sum of money in return.

Madrid is a beautiful city full of old architecture and bustling life. Stop lights are merely suggestions and ham is everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment